Here’s a Spanish embedded reading unit based on the song “Gotitas de Amor” by Jesse y Joy. I created a source sheet to which all documents/presentations/activities are linked. I will also paste the information below. I was very pleased with this unit and my students’ engagement with it.
gotitas de amor
An embedded reading unit based on the song “gotitas de amor” by Jesse and Joy prepared by Bryan Kandel
Song – gotitas de amor
1. Introduce unit and song title.
2. Project entire song and read aloud:
Slide 2 of gotitas de amor presentation
3. Introduce vocabulary for base version of the song. Engage in personalized discussion (PQA) based on new terms.
Slides 3-7 of gotitas de amor presentation
te quiero regalar
gotitas de amor
4. Create in-class story based on new terms. The story can be brief because extra reps will occur with the various readings of the text. Story can be about a character who has a very pretty pet and takes great care of it and sprinkles it with drops of love. He/she gives it to a boyfriend/girlfriend who does not take care of it.
5. Read base version of the song. Read several times and translate so meaning is very clear to all students.
Slide 8 of gotitas de amor presentation
6. Complete bellwork based on base version vocabulary.
Slide 10 of gotitas de amor presentation
7. Introduce vocabulary for version 2 of the song. Engage in personalized discussion. Use photos for extra practice.
Slides 11-19 of gotitas de amor presentation
tengo que decirte
quiero que crezca
8. Play “don’t smile” game with the phrase “tengo que decirte que te amo”.
Slide 18 of gotitas de amor presentation
Description of “don’t smile” here: no puedes sonreír
9. Read version 2 aloud. Clarify any confusing parts.
10. Distribute written copy of version 2 to all students with a different voice/personality listed on each. Students must read the song to a partner in their assigned voice. Volunteers can read aloud to class afterward.
sad voice, angry voice, like a robot, like a baby, Batman, tired voice, excited, cold, scared . . . etc.
11. Distribute final version activity. Read aloud. Discuss new terms that are defined on document. Possible discussions for “para que” subjunctive constructions.
12. Google Voice read. Students call Google Voice number and read the song aloud. Found on back of final version of gotitas de amor
13. Drawing. Students draw pictures to represent given sections of the song. Found on back of final version of gotitas de amor
Slides to sing with guitar: canciones
Lyric video: gotitas de amor
15. Watch live versions of the song.
16. Running dictation based on new structures. Print the document below and hang it outside of class. Working in groups of 2, students must copy the exact paragraph onto a paper in the classroom. To do so, one student must go look at the paper out of class, remember as much as possible, go back into class and tell his/her partner. Students can go in and out as many times as necessary to get the text.